Remember Me Rescue is a Thoroughbred Aftercare Alliance Accredited 501(c)3 organization specializing in rehabilitating, retraining and rehoming retired racehorses
How To Donate Your Racehorse
Eligibility for Donation
Chameleon, from racehorse to family horse
Horse Donation Requirements
1. All horses donated are required to have raced in North America within the last 6 months.
2. Application for horse donation is required before any horse can be accepted into the Remember Me Rescue program.
3. We will need a current coggins pulled within the last 6 months, an equine piroplasmosis test, shot records, wormed within the last 30 days, and please have teeth floated if they have not been done in the previous 6 months. These are things that will help keep our expenses down and allow us to place your horse in a suitable home more quickly. Most horses recently retired from racing are already current on these requirements.
4. Original foal papers must accompany horse at time of donation. All papers will be stamped "NOT INTENDED FOR RACING OR SLAUGHTER" across the front. We will also need a letter from the current owner stating he/she does not want the horse to be involved in horse racing ever again. We will then send a copy of the horses papers to the Jockey Club along with the letter from the owner.
5. If your horse is sound enough for riding please shoe horse in front. If your horse is companion only have horse trimmed or corrective shod if needed just before arriving at Remember Me Rescue.
6. A minimum donation of $500 is required when donating a sound horse that is ready for immediate placement. If the horse donated will require lay up time before being available for adoption or is a companion only horse a minimum donation of $1000 will be required.
This amount may be higher if rehabilitation or placement time is expected to be longer than 6 months.
Donations are tax deductible in addition to the donation of your horse. You will receive a letter of recognition for the cash donation and for your horse. You or your personal CPA will have to establish the value of the donation of your horse. We are not able to establish horse value.
Your cash donation will help pay for the board and retraining of your horse until a suitable home can be found. If a home is found for your horse quickly the remaining funds will go to support other horses during their stay at Remember Me Rescue.
These things will help us find you horse a forever home as quickly as possible as well as keep our expenses to a minimum so we can keep helping the hard to place horses that stay at Remember Me Rescue for extended periods of time.
If you are having difficult times and are not able to meet these requirements please contact us. We will try to work with you and your circumstances.